Built in the mid-1800s by the 2nd Earl of Gosford, Archibald Acheson, Gosford Castle is a grade A listed building. It was designed in the Norman Revival style by London architect Thomas Hopper and was occupied by the Earls of Gosford until 1921. During the Second World War the Castle was commandeered and used to accommodate troops and prisoner of war camp was set up in the estate.
Following the war the Achesons sold the Castle to the Ministry of Agriculture who established the 590 acre demesne as Gosford Forest Park which was later designated Northern Ireland’s first conservation forest in 1986. The castle fell back into military use during The Troubles before being run as a hotel from 1983