Amid a bank of Georgian buildings to be developed on Dublin’s Camden Street Upper is an imprisoned stain glass window. It depicts a central sun with decorative concentric rings.
The circular masterpiece lies beside an extended arched doorway and sets the frontage of numbers 4-5 Camden Street Upper apart from the surrounding Georgian houses. The stain glassed window currently peeks through a protective steel grate.
The building is reported to be former studios of Earley & Company.
This company was originally founded as Earley and Powell around 1852 and operated here until 1974. The stain glass installation along with the extended two bay arched door was possibly constructed some time after 1912 when the Earley company moved their premises to numbers 4-5.
These ecclesiastic decorators performed sculpting, church decorating, stone carving, stained glass manufacturing and marble alter making among other artistic crafts. The company was commissioned to undertake work in cathedrals and chapels throughout Ireland, along with some private commissions.
The following is a awe inspiring installation by artist Ronan Coyle, which exhibits this amazing piece of art and reveals its true beauty. This is a must watch.
Mr Ronan Coyle, Youtube
Hopefully the stained glass window of Upper Camden street will be uncaged and shine again in all its glory to the passersby.
Samples of the Earley’s craftsmanship can be appreciated today close to their former premises in Dublin City Centre at the following locations.
Just around the corner on Harrington Street is St. Kevin’s church where St. Michael & St. Gabriel statues flank the high altar.
In Whitefriar Street Church, on Aungier Street, are the Rosary Windows.
In St. Audoen’s on High St, is the Lunette Stained glass window.
Some sketches of the company’s designs are held at the National Irish Visual Arts Library in the archives of the National College of Art and Design.